Thursday 1 February 2018

Hiatus in Te Anau



I arrived into te anau feeling exhausted, helped myself to a 2 scoop ice cream while checking into the top 10 for the only thing available - a queen motel room.  After a bit of a rest I pulled myself into town to get a slap up lamb meal at a newly opened Argentinian bbq.   The food was ok, but nothing to write home about, but at least there was enough left over for breakfast.

With accommodation at a premium I donned pack the next morning for the 2km jaunt down the other end of town where I'd booked a single cabin for the next 2 nights.

I wasn't feeling well, and shortly after checking in I found out why, developing the shakes.  Herein followed 24 hours of running a temperature and frequent trips to the loo, with concerns about my ability to walk the next section when Stephen and Eli turned up.

Fortunately however it was a pretty short run thing; a day later I was feeling wiped out, but in recovery enough that I was able to start eating and had a couple of shortish swims in the lake (lake Te Anau being the warmest I'd ever felt it).

Today the rain has set in and I'm having a lazy day, having put the final touches on my resupply, and splashed out on a more suitable inflatable bedroll).  Stephen and Eli turn up in a few hours, so I'll be heading into town shortly to meet them.  Jacket and boots will be required!

Next update will be back from the trail, but you probably won't see it until I'm in Queenstown.  In the mean time Jakob will continue with his excellent work uploading my satellite position.

No comments:

Post a Comment