Friday 9 February 2018

Hiatus 2 - Queenstown



2 days spent in Queenstown, largely chilling.

Day 1 started with Eli and Stephen taking off early.  I was really sad to see Eli go, feeling quite homesick after his departure.  It turns out he had a puke in Hamish's car on the way to the bus pickup. Sorry Hamish!!! Perhaps a liquid breakfast (smoothie, not beer!) wasn't a great idea.
The only thing of note I had to do in town was replace my pack, which was done on day 1, a Tatonka Yukon 80 liter pack. I'm really happy with it - heaps of room with a fantastic waist belt. Without even walking I can feel more of the weight going onto my waist than my old pack.
Day 1 also consisted in a fair bit of swimming in Lake Wakatipu, and perhaps another burger and some sorbet.

Day 2 was spent not doing much, loading and setting up my pack. After dinner we toodled down to the Shotover River. It looked pretty low, so I waded on in. Actually waded isn't the word - I got across the other side with barely more than my knees getting wet. I'm sure it's not often possible to ford the Shotover!

Again, thanks to Hamish and Janine for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment