Tuesday 27 February 2018

Day 29 - Lake Tekapo to Roundhill ski area, 26.3km, 6 hours 15 minutes



I was thrilled to get a bed in the backpackers last night. I wasn't quite so thrilled to be in a room full of kiwi experience travellers, none of whom saw the need to turn off the light until after 1am.

So a late start this morning then. With sore feet after days of gravel walking and another 15km of it in prospect for today, I decided to tape the balls of my feet, the first time in weeks that I've needed to.

After breakfast in Tekapo, and having stocked up with bakery goodies for lunch it was time to hit the road.
There isn't much to say about the road walking, we (I say 'we', I'm walking with Neil again) worked our way up the north shore of Lake Tekapo before taking to the hills, the last of the big alpine lakes left behind.


We climbed on a generally easy gradient away from the lake, receiving a very welcome surprise when the low cloud that had obscured the mountains all day started to lift late in the afternoon.

Being treated to phenomenal views it didn't take too much thought to end the day short of the hut that had been our destination, set up camp in a semi sheltered spot beside a nicely bubbling brook, and enjoy the views for the evening.
Tenting at 1100 metres we've probably let ourselves in for a cold night, but the views were worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment