Saturday 14 April 2018

Day 64 - Furneaux Lodge to Ship Cove, 13km, 3 hours


With my boat not due at Ship Cove until 2:30 and a showery, cold day in prospect, I was in no rush to head away this morning, and enjoyed a lie in.
Then it was on track for the final 1% of distance, and unfortunately 1% of climbing also. The first climb was a doddle, but the second, 240 steep meters up out of Resolution Bay was a different story. Nevertheless there were good views from the top out over Cook Strait with Kapiti and the North Island directly in front of me, as close as I've ever seen them from the South Island.
Kapiti Island can be seen low on the horizon, along with the Rimutakas further to the right
A quick drop down the other side of the hill saw me at Ship Cove, 1300km and the finish!

It's a freezing cold day, but I still jumped off the jetty to finish my walk, and I'm now sitting around with 2 layers of merino and a puffer jacket on, trying to stay warm while waiting for the launch to arrive and take me back to Picton. Mission accomplished!

5 comments:

  1. Amazingly well done cheers Duncan and Debs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Congratulations what a feat and such a wonderful escape following your adventure. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have to write a book now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Congratulations!!! Dam you're looking skinny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I have enjoyed following your blog.

    ReplyDelete