Wednesday 11 April 2018

Day 57 - Mt Rintoul Hut to Starveall Hut, 17km, 7 hours 15 minutes


Well that was a rather epic day. 5 mountains climbed and the most phenomenal views along the way. 

The day started with a jaunt up Mt Rintoul. I was rather nervous about this - it's supposed to be very difficult and in parts extremely exposed.

In practice I found it difficult and don't recall any undue exposure at all. Within an hour of leaving the hut I was at the summit. The views were probably the best on trail, with 360 degree views of mountains ranges - too many peaks to count.  Queue lots of photos, although it was cold and windy, so I didn't hang around too long.


Then down to the bush line, but in little more than an hour I was back up on top of its not so smaller sister, Little Mount Rintoul.  More photos of prodigious views in all directions.
Then up and down along a ridge until reaching my third peak for the day, Old Man, followed by more ridge climbing, over an unnamed peak, then skirting just under the top of Slaty Peak for lunch and a longish rest at Slaty Hut.


One more mountain to climb for the day, Mt Starveall, very close to Nelson.

Then down to Starveall Hut. Being the weekend and close to Nelson, the hut is full to overflowing, so I'm out the front in my tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment