Monday 22 January 2018

Day 4 - Colac Bay - 0km



Not much to report today.  A day lazing around at Colac Bay.
While eating my porridge and sipping my coffee over breakfast, I eyed up the Longwood forest just to my North, and where the trail would be heading next.  It was an attractive proposition, a densely forested hill, rising slowly to the North.  I was looking forward to the shade to give my sunburn a break, and the easier footfall to be found in the forest would be welcome too. 


Walking down to the beach this morning my feet had felt much improved, the biggest issue the bruise under my right heel, rather than the blister on my left.  It was a cool, overcast morning, with mist sitting in the Longwood forest - perfect conditions for walking.  I was tempted to pass up the chance for a rest day and forge on, but decided on a day at the beach (maybe not so concerned by sunburn after all!) and hoping another day of rest would put paid to the worst of the bruise.  What I'm doing is a marathon, not a sprint, and as long as I'm in Te Anau by the first of February to meet Stephen and Eli off the bus, I'm good.


Too much sitting around with nothing to do but think and reflect can be dangerous though.  I was really missing Caleb today.  I'm not sure if bringing the montage Stephen and his mate put together for his funeral was a good idea or not.  On balance I think it probably is, it's important to acknowledge and deal with what you are going through rather than just bottle it up and ignore it in an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of way.

I had 2 swims at Colac Bay during the day, the second had some decent surf and I got some fair body surfing in. Swimming in Foveaux Strait, I was amazed at how warm the water was, much warmer than I am used to back on Canterbury beaches.
I retired to the bar for the afternoon to watch Pakistan get pulverised in the cricket, but didn't see much of the second innings because two te araroa walkers came in and we struck up an earnest and entertaining conversation. One, Neil, a Tasmanian, is heading north, so I'm likely to see a bit of him in the near future. Seemed a nice sort of bloke.
I met another couple of walkers during the day, including another NOBO who is planning to return to Invercargill tomorrow to sort out her too heavy pack. I have been doing likewise by busily eating any excess food I have, quite happy to take one for the team on that score.

Right now I'm sitting by the beach with a clear, dark sky hoping for a sight of the fabled Aurora Australis. Unfortunately for me the Aurora forecast turned out to be correct and there is nothing to be seen, nor is likely to be for the next few days.

PostScript. I've had beautiful weather along the south coast, but it isn't always the case.

1 comment:

  1. In the Army we were told to use Meths spirits to harden feet up dab it on with cotton wool.

    ReplyDelete