Thursday 18 January 2018

Day 0 - Christchurch to Invercargill

I've never been good at goodbyes.
When I used to travel to Mexico there were always a few tears, and it's the same this time around.  Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to it, but the goodbye this time has been harder with emotions already at very raw edge from Caleb's death.



Plus side.  I see Elijah and Stephen in two weeks, and it will be awesome walking a section with them.  Also it's only 6 weeks until I get back to the Rakaia River and get back home for a few days, which is only 2 weeks longer than my longest work trips to Mexico when the kids were younger.

I've written this first bit sitting in the airport waiting lounge.  Right on queue they've just started playing, "can't live if living is without you" on the canned music system.  Thanks Christchurch airport; perfect going away music.  I'm surprised there aren't people jumping off the roofs.
Anyway after the dreaded, "please see an Air New Zealand representative" on checking in (queue visions of cancelled flights; it turns out they were just trying to fit me in on an earlier flight which turned around when unable to land in Invercargill anyway - I hope my flight has better luck), I have a seat booked on the right hand side of the plane.  This should give good views towards the route of the trail.  I'm particularly looking forward to checking out the Longwood forest and the Takitimus, two areas I am totally unfamiliar with and will be tackling early on.

My spirits started lifting as the flight rolled out.  This is the culmination of a year's planning and preparation, and a lot of hard work.  I'm really looking forward to it!

Low cloud in Southland meant there were no views of the early trail to be seen, but at least my flight got in, unlike the previous one, and I'll get a good enough look at everything in the coming days!

Having successfully completed my first navigational challenge of finding my way out of the airport carpark, I was left with a quick 4km jaunt to the Grand Hotel.  This indeed has a rather grand exterior, but conversely is equally tired internally.  Nevertheless, a fine place to lay my head for the next two nights, being directly downtown.  The walk was a fine opportunity to feel the pack on my back before the real deal starts in two days time - the first day being packless from Bluff back to Invercargill.  The pack was comfortable, but certainly wasn't light.  I'm not too concerned by this though - it was loaded up with heavy tramping boots and stuff I'll be leaving behind after day 1.


3 comments:

  1. All the best with your adventure. I will enjoy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tribute to Caleb(the wannabe tramper)-he would be in awe, but of course hide it by giving you a hard time...
    An Old Irish Blessing:
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand

    ReplyDelete