Tuesday 30 January 2018

Day 10 - Apirama Hut, 0km



After 5 days on the move and a big push yesterday it was time for a zero day (track parlance for a rest day, as in 0km travelled).
A lazy day of reading, watching the Poirot TV series, and chatting with the other 3 hut residents followed, punctuated with 3 trips down to the Apirama Deep for a swim, 300 meters away.


The hole is only about 1.5 meters deep at it's deepest, but is about 20 meters long, so is perfect for a bit of swimming or just lazing around between the water and sandy/stoney beach on one side of it.
After a long lie in I went down for a morning wake me up about 8.30, a longer swim/laze/sunbath in the early afternoon, then a pre dinner refresher.

We have a merry party this evening.  6 NOBOs in total and, remarkably, all kiwis (even Neil has a NZ passport).  To put that into context, something like 20% of the people I've seen doing the trail have been kiwis. 

Some really interesting people in, including a guy (directly behind me) who kayaked with Ferguson and McDonald in the 80's and now works as a builder on Hollywood movie sets.  Made for some interesting conversation.  Alas, another who hasn't been able to get the song "Stand by your man" out of his head all day, something like a stuck record.  The conspirational part of me wonders if this is a subconscious, subliminal message to a youngish girl he has started walking with along the way, and is rather mentoring along, to the point of preparing all her food and sharing water bottles. 

I've just finished strapping my feet ready for the off tomorrow.  A SOBO has given me an alternative from second skin to use for the blisters, so I'll be trying that with interest tomorrow.  Next stop Te Anau!

No comments:

Post a Comment