Friday 23 March 2018

Day 41 - Bealey Hotel to Goat Pass Hut, 15.5km, 4 hours 30 minutes

With a good weather window required for the next section and a settled forecast for the next few days, it was time to hit the trail again.  Karen dropped me off at the Bealey Hotel with a plan to meet me 5km up the river at Greyney's Shelter, where the Mingha River comes down to the Waimak.  
Setting off there was an early ford of the Waimak, which was bitterly cold, albeit not any deeper than mid thigh. This led onto a rough marked trail up the Bealey River bed; it was all pretty easy going and within 40 minutes I spied Karen making her way towards me. 
Shortly afterwards with pack donned it was goodbye to Karen and Morris and off up the Mingha River. 

With a week of food on board, I was surprised that the pack felt so good, especially with a warmer and heavier sleeping bag now on board.  Weighing my pack before I left it came to 20kg, not bad given how many supplies I have on board. 

The Mingha Valley provides good views up towards Goat Pass.
It wasn't long at all before I was sitting down for lunch on Dudley's Knob, a short but sharp protrusion above the river, and only a couple of kilometers past that saw me at Mingha Biv. 

In the few kilometres that remained until Goat Pass and the hut, which is pretty much right on the pass, I happened upon Neil, my now longstanding trail mate.  We proceeded to the hut together.


Remembering the fantastic views to be seen when I was here late last year (with Caleb and the fellas) it was time to setup shop for the evening and enjoy said views.

No comments:

Post a Comment