Monday 2 April 2018

Day 47 - Boyle Village to Boyle Flats Hut, 12.6km, 3 hours 30 minutes


Back on trail for the last stint - kind of. I'm planning a couple of 2 day breaks, but moving away from home now I want to finish off the walk fairly quickly.

Not being confident of getting some of the food I'll need in St Arnaud, I have the biggest pack of the trail so far, with the best part of 3 weeks snack food on board plus other extras. My pack is straining at the seams, but surprisingly felt fine on my shoulders.

Mum and dad dropped me off at Boyle 'Village' then accompanied me for the first hour, during which we followed the Boyle River along its bank. A beautiful section of track to walk before we all sat down for lunch.

After lunch I took my leave of mum and dad and within minutes came out onto wide river bed.  At tjos point I abandoned the track knowing that it meanders all over the place, whereas there is a beeline route to Magdalen Hut across the flats. Magdalen has been rebuilt recently, retaining none of the character of the previous hut, but I guess at least it'll keep the mice out. I wasn't stopping in any case; I'd only had lunch an hour beforehand.


Carrying on up the Boyle the valley narrows again with some more beautiful river walking.


Only a couple of kilometres away was Boyle Flats Hut.  Again I wasn't intending to stop, preferring to soldier on to Rokeby further up valley. However with a strong wind springing up and rain starting I made a last minute decision to take advantage of Boyle Flat's fire and stop for a really short day. Cest la vie, I'm in no rush. I have the hut all to myself, a first on trail, with the rain absolutely belting down outside, so all in all a good decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment